Reno, NV Wrongful Death Lawyer
The unexpected death of a loved one can be emotionally and financially devastating. The surviving family members may be consumed with grief while coping with the loss of financial support. Though no amount of money can make up for the loss of a loved one, a wrongful death lawsuit can provide compensation to stabilize a family in their time of crisis.
If your loved one passed away due to the negligence of another person, you can contact one of the Reno wrongful death attorneys with Richard Harris Law Firm today. Our compassionate lawyers can offer support and legal advice during this difficult time.
Allow us to review your situation and determine whether you might be eligible to receive financial compensation. Call or text our personal injury law firm 24/7 or fill out the online evaluation form to schedule a free consultation.
What is Wrongful Death?
Wrongful death occurs when someone dies due to the actions – or inactions – of another person. Under Nevada law, when someone negligently, recklessly, or intentionally causes a death, the surviving family members can file a lawsuit.
Nevada state law allows the following parties to file wrongful death claims, depending on who the deceased is survived by and who represents the estate:
- An immediate family member (spouse, child, parent)
- A legal dependent
- A representative of his or her estate
Wrongful death cases can be complex and difficult to prove, so it’s important to have a Reno personal injury attorney who you can trust on your side. At Richard Harris Personal Injury Law Firm, we prioritize maintaining the trust of the attorney-client relationship, so please get in touch with us for realistic expectations of your case.
Types of Reno, NV Wrongful Death Cases We Handle
Unintentional accidents are one of the leading causes of death in the United States. Thousands of people die in Nevada every year due to the reckless or negligent actions of others.
The personal injury lawyers at our law firm have experience in handling many different types of wrongful death claims including:
- Motor vehicle accidents: Many people lose their lives each year as a result of car, truck, motorcycle, and pedestrian accidents in Reno, Nevada. These catastrophic accidents can happen due to equipment malfunction, distracted driving, speeding, driving while intoxicated, or other acts of negligence.
- Premises liability accidents: Property owners in Reno have an obligation to keep their properties safe and free from hazards. A premises liability accident could include a slip-and-fall, an animal attack, drowning, being struck by an object, or another tragedy.
- Medical malpractice: Doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals in Reno are expected to uphold a certain standard of care. Medical malpractice occurs when someone is negligent or makes an error that harms the patient. Examples include failure to diagnose, surgical errors, misdiagnosis, and improper administration of medication.
- Workplace accidents: Companies and employers in Nevada are legally required to implement certain safety standards to provide their employees with a hazard-free work environment. A fatality that occurs due to a workplace accident or injury could lead to a wrongful death claim.
- Product liability accidents: Manufacturers, suppliers, and retailers are legally required to ensure that their products are safe for their intended purposes. When product safety guidelines are not met, consumers can be injured and even lose their lives as a result.
In fact, we are a full-service law firm capable of handling your out-of-state or criminal defense cases as well. If you are unsure where to turn, our law firm is the best first step you could take. We always go the extra mile for our clients to get them the compensation they need.
Determining Liability in a Reno, NV Wrongful Death Claim
The first thing that your personal injury lawyer must do is to establish liability. It must be proven that negligence caused or contributed to the death. Other factors and considerations may need to be shown as well, such as that the deceased took reasonable care to prevent the accident or sought medical care after being injured.
While building a solid case for our clients, our legal team will typically try to obtain the following:
- Accident reports
- Photos from the scene of the accident
- Medical reports
- Police reports
- Eyewitness statements
- Physical evidence of any safety device or product involved
At Richard Harris Law Firm, we understand that the last thing on your mind after losing a loved one in death is filing a lawsuit. However, the evidence needed to back up a wrongful death claim can degrade or be lost over time. For this reason, it’s important to contact a wrongful death attorney as soon as possible.
In addition, as with all personal injury cases, wrongful death lawsuits must be filed within a certain period of time. The statute of limitations in Nevada on these types of claims is typically 2 years from the date of the person’s death.
What Benefits are Recoverable in Reno, Nevada?
A wrongful death attorney can review the specific facts and circumstances surrounding your situation and determine what types of damages you may be entitled to.
The following are common types of damages available in wrongful death cases:
- Medical bills
- Burial and funeral costs
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
- Lost wages and benefits
- Punitive damages
Many types of damages in wrongful death claims, such as loss of companionship, are not easily measurable. It is the job of our personal injury attorneys to ensure that the liable party and jurors are made to understand how the loss of a loved one has affected you and how your life will be impacted going forward.
Whether in or out of court, we know how to present your case so that the full measure of the losses sustained are clearly understood.
In some situations, such as nursing home abuse or drunk driving, a jury may award punitive damages. These types of damages are awarded to serve as punishment for the negligent party’s actions.
Schedule a Free Case Consultation Today
If you have suffered the loss of a family member due to someone else’s negligent or reckless actions, the personal injury lawyers at Richard Harris Law Firm are here to help. You can rely on our compassionate legal team to offer quality legal advice and relentlessly pursue justice on behalf of your loved one and family.
During your free consultation, we can help you understand who can file a wrongful death lawsuit in Nevada, as well as the types of benefits that are typically included in such legal actions. We can help you navigate complex insurance issues, file a workers’ compensation claim, and take your case to court if needed.
Our law firm offers personal injury legal services on a contingency fee basis. This means you don’t pay anything out of pocket. Even when we take on your case, you don’t owe us a dime unless you are awarded a settlement.
You don’t have to go through this difficult time alone. Contact the wrongful death lawyers at Richard Harris Law Firm today to schedule a free case consultation. Call or text us 24/7 at 702-213-2954 or fill out the online form.