Reno, NV Slip and Fall Lawyer
When you enter a home or business in Reno, you have every reason to expect that you will be safe. Property owners have a legal obligation to fix hazardous conditions and warn visitors of any risks they might face. When property owners fail to do so, their negligence can cause visitors to suffer serious slip-and-fall accidents.
If you sustained an injury in a slip-and-fall accident in Nevada, you may have the right to file a premises liability claim. This way, you can recover the compensation you deserve for your losses. The skilled personal injury attorneys at Richard Harris Law Firm have over four decades of experience in handling slip and fall cases. In the passing years, we have helped our clients recover over $1 billion in damages.
Our experienced Reno slip and fall attorneys know what is needed to pursue maximum compensation for those who have suffered harm due to negligent property owners. Call or text us 24/7 at (702) 213-9779 to discuss your case during a free, no-obligation consultation.
Premises Liability and How It Affects Your Reno, NV Slip and Fall Claim
Premises liability is a legal term that applies to personal injury cases where a person has been injured due to unsafe conditions on someone’s property. In Nevada, as in other states, owners of land, businesses, or homes have a legal obligation to keep the premises they control safe and hazard-free.
In order for a premises liability claim to be successful, the following conditions must be proven:
- The defendant had a legal duty of care to keep the property free from potentially dangerous conditions
- The defendant failed to fulfill this obligation
- The plaintiff’s injuries were a direct result of the defendant’s negligence
- The plaintiff suffered damages as a result of the accident
Put simply, the direct cause of the victim’s injuries must be the property owner’s or manager’s failure to maintain a safe environment.
Proving liability in slip and fall cases can be complicated. However, your slip-and-fall accident claim will have a much greater chance of success with a lawyer from Richard Harris Law Firm on your side. Our attorneys have the knowledge and resources needed to prove liability on your behalf.
Common Causes of Reno Slip-and-Fall Accidents
As personal injury attorneys who have been serving Reno, Las Vegas, and the surrounding areas for over 40 years, Richard Harris Law Firm has handled a wide range of slip-and-fall accident cases. The majority of these involve property owners who failed to address a dangerous condition or give proper warning to visitors about the slip and fall risks they faced.
The following are some common causes of slips, trips, and falls in Reno:
- Slippery floors: If a floor was recently mopped or waxed, there should be a sign present, warning visitors of a potential hazard
- Spills: Merchandise in stores can fall from shelves and make floors slippery or otherwise treacherous; store owners and those who work for them should put out warning signs and clean up spills in a timely manner.
- Uneven surfaces: Loose carpet, mats, floorboards, or damaged tiles can cause a person to trip and fall
- Insufficient lighting: Dim lighting in corridors, stairwells, and parking garages can obscure obstacles and cause tripping hazards
- Potholes: Open holes in parking lots, landscaping, and sidewalks can create unsafe conditions, especially if unmarked by fencing, cones, or signs
- Loose railing: Railings in stairwells and hallways are designed to prevent falling hazards but if defective or loose, they can have the opposite effect and cause a slip-and-fall accident
Slip-and-Falls in Reno Nursing Homes
When your elderly family member goes to live in a Reno nursing facility, you trust that he or she will be well cared for. Sadly, this is not always the case. When a nursing home is inadequately staffed and fails to follow proper guidelines and protocols, the residents are the ones who suffer.
According to the CDC, 1 in 4 adults over the age of 65 fall each year. Many of these older ones are living in nursing home facilities.
Conditions that may leave a nursing home liable for slips and falls include:
- Failure to provide residents with walkers, canes, or other assistive devices
- Failure to properly help residents bath and use the restroom
- Improperly secured electrical and medical cords
- Failure to have guardrails and handrails along walkways and ramps
- Improperly secured rugs that can slip when walked on
- Slippery or wet floors on resident pathways
- Inadequate lighting in walkways and common areas
Elderly adults can be especially susceptible to severe injuries when they fall. One of the most common injuries for seniors is a fractured hip. A hip fracture can permanently affect a senior’s mobility and may be life-threatening.
If your loved one has been injured due to someone else’s negligence in a nursing home, contact Richard Harris Law Firm today to schedule a free consultation with a slip and fall attorney. Our personal injury lawyers can help you identify all negligent parties and hold them liable.
Types of Injuries We Have Helped Clients Recover Compensation For
The force of a sudden slip combined with the hard impact of a fall to the ground can cause any number of different types of injuries. Your Reno personal injury lawyer needs to understand the full extent of your injury, the additional practice areas the accident may pertain to, and the impact this has had on your life.
This knowledge will enable your attorney to prepare your claim for compensation. Slip-and-fall injuries that we have helped clients recover compensation for include:
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue damage
- Neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
Who is Liable for Reno Slip-and-Fall Accidents?
In most situations, someone injured in a slip-and-fall must prove that the cause of the accident was a “dangerous condition,” that the property owner knew about the hazard, and that he or she failed to act. Your slip and fall lawyer can help you determine fault and file a claim against all parties who share responsibility for your accident.
The following are examples of potentially liable parties:
- Commercial property owners: The owner of a store, restaurant, casino, or another business may be liable for a slip-and-fall that occurs on his or her property
- Property management and maintenance companies: Property management companies hired to maintain commercial and residential properties can be found liable if their negligence resulted in a slip-and-fall
- Construction companies: If you were injured in a slip-and-fall because of a building defect, the constructor or designer could potentially be found responsible for the accident
- Homeowners and renters: A fall in someone else’s home is typically covered under their renter’s or homeowner’s insurance
- Custodians and service providers: Cleaning and repair companies can be held to blame for slip-and-falls if their negligence caused slip-and-fall hazards
- Local governments and municipalities: There are specific rules applied when someone slips and falls on property owned by a state, federal, or local government; your lawyer will be able to determine who could be found liable
Steps to Take After a Reno Slip-and-Fall Accident
The actions you take immediately following a slip-and-fall could affect your physical and financial recovery. Below, we have outlined some important steps for victims to take following their accidents:
- Seek medical attention: Don’t hesitate to contact emergency services or receive a doctor’s exam as soon as possible after your accident. Some injuries, such as a concussion, may not be immediately apparent. Even these, though, can lead to serious complications later on. Additionally, medical records can later be used as evidence to add legitimacy to your slip and fall case.
- Determine the cause of your fall: If your health allows, try to determine the cause of your slip-and-fall. If possible, take a picture of the accident scene. If there was a substance that caused you to fall, collect a sample to present as evidence.
- Report the accident: Notify the property owner or manager of the business of your slip-and-fall. Ensure that an official report is filled out and request a copy.
- Speak to witnesses: Obtain contact information from any witnesses who were on the scene at the time of the accident. Even if they didn’t see the moment you fell, they may be able to attest to the conditions of the area at the scene of the accident.
- Keep a case file: Hold on to copies of medical bills, copies of letters received from the insurance company, and receipts of any other slip-and-fall-related expenses.
- Don’t give an official statement: Speak to an attorney before giving an official statement to the insurance company or signing any paperwork that will lock you into a settlement.
- Avoid posting on social media: Refrain from posting about your slip and fall case on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other social media or forums. Insurance companies could use what you post about your slip-and-fall to harm your claim. So be cautious about what you post until negotiations have been resolved and your settlement is agreed upon.
- Contact a slip and fall attorney: An experienced attorney can review your slip and fall case, answer all of your questions, offer legal advice, and help you obtain fair compensation for your injuries.
Damages Our Reno Slip and Fall Lawyers Can Help You Recover
The exact types and amounts of damages recoverable are unique to you and your individual situation. The following are some of the damages our personal injury lawyers usually pursue when representing victims of slip and fall cases:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment
- Scarring and disfigurement.
During your consultations with us, our lawyers will get to know you and learn all of the ways your injuries have impacted you and your family. We will then use this information to determine the type and amount of damages you are entitled to and prove your case.
Reno, NV Wrongful Death Slip and Fall Cases
Across Nevada, many people walk away from a slip- or trip-and-fall with only sustaining minor injuries. However, slip-and-falls can be especially dangerous because victims may end up with an injured brain by hitting their heads. Symptoms of a traumatic brain injury may not manifest themselves until it is too late.
If your loved one passed away due to a slip-and-fall, there are specific damages an attorney may be able to help your family including:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical bills prior to death
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of financial support
- Pain and suffering
Contact a Reno, Nevada Slip and Fall Lawyer Today
If you or someone you love has been injured in a slip-and-fall accident in Reno, Nevada, you may be entitled to financial compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other losses. Our slip and fall attorneys can offer support, provide legal advice, and help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Our Reno personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, which means that we only collect fees if compensation is recovered for your case. You won’t have to worry about paying anything out-of-pocket. You and your attorney have the same goal – to be awarded maximum compensation for your personal injury claim.
The attorneys at Richard Harris Law Firm have used skills, resources, and experience for over 40 years to protect the legal rights of slip-and-fall victims in Nevada. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation. Call or text us 24/7 or start a live chat with a slip and fall accident attorney.