Speeding Car Accident Lawyer
Speeding is one of the leading reasons for serious car accidents resulting in serious injury or fatality in the US.
These accidents are more serious than other accidents and kill more people every year than drunk driving accidents.
If you have been injured in a serious speeding accident you need to call an experienced accident lawyer and The Richard Harris Law Firm has over 40 years of experience with speeding accidents in Las Vegas and all of Nevada.
We can help you get the most compensation for your speeding car accident injuries.
Call today for a free case review.
We will tell you what you can expect if we go forward with your case.
We will be with you every step of the way.
We take speeding car crash cases on a contingency basis so you never pay out of pocket for any of our services.
We only recover payment if we win your case.
Statistics of Speeding Car Accidents
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ( NHTSA) collects data about car accidents in the US. According to NHTSA in 2019 speeding was the key factor in 27% of all fatal crashes in the US.
The data collected also states that 9,717 people were killed in speeding accident incidents in 2019.
That is double the number of people that were killed in drunk driving accidents in the same year.
In 2017 the NHTSA reported that 37,461 people died in car accidents in the US. 9527 of those deaths were killed as a result of speeding related accidents, that is 25% of all accidental deaths caused by speeding.
This report also shows that in 2017 speeding killed more people than drunk driving and texting accidents combined.
In the same year 2017 2.5 million Americans were injured in car accidents 23 % of those were from speeding accidents or 574,000 people were injured in accidents related to speeding.
Why is Speeding so Dangerous
Speeding is dangerous on any roadway because the risk of a serious or fatal accident increases as the speeding car goes faster.
Speeding leaves the driver of the vehicle with a significantly reduced reaction time to any situation that may come up.
Excessive speed increases the chances of the driver hitting another vehicle or a pedestrian.
Speeding also increases the severity of the accidents that happen because of speeding drivers.
Most rollover accidents are caused by speeding accidents.
Rollover crashes are some of the most deadly of all crashes because the passengers are more likely to perish or be seriously injured when a car rolls over in an accident.
How is a Speeding Accident Investigated
All serious car accidents are investigated in the same way but for accidents involving excessive speed there are few other factors that police will investigate including:
- Speed of the vehicles involved
- Road conditions at the time of the accident
- Was the driver obeying the speed limit or exceeding it
- Traffic patrons at the time of the incidents
- Other factors such as drunk driving or texting were involved
- Did the driver attempt to slow down or stop before the crash
Police will investigate all aspects of the crash to determine who is at fault using witness statements, video surveillance, police reports from responding police officers, and reconstructing the accident scene.
What Causes a Fatal Speeding Crash
Speeding accidents that cause a fatality are usually due to many reasons but the main ones are:
- Drunk Driving – Drunk driving reduces your ability to react fast and your reflexes are slowed down. Since your reaction time is also slower you will not be able to stop as quickly if you are speeding.
- Distracted Driving- This includes texting , talking on the phone, eating and even putting on makeup are all considered distracted driving. Being distracted and not paying attention when speeding can cause a fatal crash
- Reckless Driving- For example street racing is considered reckless driving and involves speeding and putting other law abiding people at risk
Proving Liability in a Car Accident Involving Speeding
If you were the victim in an accident that was caused by a driver that was going over the posted speed limit it is important to prove that the speeding driver was liable for the crash.
Speeding itself is considered negligent since you are endangering others by speeding.
So you must prove liability of the speeding driver by :
- Proving the driver was actually speeding
- Proving the driver was driving in a reckless manner while speeding
- Showing that the driver was distracted while speeding
- Showing that the driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs
An experienced personal injury attorney may decide to hire a crash reconstruction expert to prove the neglect or liability of the speeding driver.
We do whatever it takes to help our clients.
The crash expert can reconstruct the accident scene and determine how fast the other driver was going.
An experienced personal injury attorney may even have a crash expert on staff to investigate the accident and get you the settlement you deserve.
Speeding Car Accident and Injuries
The potential for serious injury increases significantly when high speed is involved.
For example the NHTSA has determined that the risk of death increases by 75% when the driver is going over 55 miles per hour.
Driving at high speed puts the driver and others on the road at risk of serious injury or death.
The most common injuries that occur in a speeding car accident are –
- Head and Brain injuries TBI ( traumatic brain injuries)
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Broken Bones
- Lacerations and Burns
- Internal Organ Damage
If you are ever involved in an accident involving a speeding driver you should always seek medical attention immediately.
You may have injuries that you cannot see right away.
There is a legal standard for damages that come from an accident.
Non economic damages can include pain and suffering , emotional distress, and loss of consortium.
The Richard Harris Law Firm are experts at car accidents involving speeding drivers.
We know this can be a devastating time for you and we will do everything to get you the settlement you deserve.
What Should I Do if a Speeding Motorist Hit Me
If you are ever hit by a speeding driver causing an accident there are a few things that you should do right away no matter what the accident situation
- Seek medical attention- You may think that you are not injured and there is no need to head to the hospital but go no matter what. You may have injuries like whiplash, or a concussion that are injuries that you cannot visibly see or may not show until later. Not seeking medical attention can have a negative impact on your settlement case.
- Take photos and video of the crash scene- This can be used as evidence in a court proceeding.
- Get a police report- The police report will have all the accident information and the police often determine who is at fault and how fast they were going.
- Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer– In Las Vegas that lawyer is the Richard Harris Law Firm. Before you speak with anyone else we encourage you to speak with a personal injury attorney.
- Keep excellent records- Start a folder or binder of all accident related expenses including medical bills. This will help with determining how much of a settlement you may be entitled to.
- Do not speak with the other driver’s insurance company or lawyer on your own. Do not give a written or recorded statement before you hire an attorney.
What To Expect After a Car Accident
As we have stated you should seek medical attention first.
Once you have received medical attention for your injuries you need to contact an experienced lawyer about your options.
You can be compensated for your accident in one of two ways
- A settlement from the insurance company- You must contact your insurance company after an accident no matter what. In most cases the person who is at fault will use their insurance to cover your expenses. But just know that the insurance company is a money making business and they are not on your side. Insurance adjusters will try to get a recorded statement from you and they are also looking for any way to either deny or reduce your claim. An experienced injury attorney will negotiate with the insurance for you. If the insurance company offers a settlement that is below what is believed to be fair then the second option is to file a lawsuit against the insurance company and the other driver.
- Filing a lawsuit can help you receive compensation- Sometimes the insurance company will deny the claim and refuse any compensation for the accident victim. If this happens your attorney will file a lawsuit on your behalf. If your attorney wins your lawsuit the compensation can be much greater than what the insurance company could have paid you anyway. Lawsuits can take up significant time and be very expensive, however a good injury lawyer will not take any money up front and work on a contingency basis so they only collect money if they are in the case.
Call The Richard Harris Law Firm if you were injured in an accident involving a speeding driver.
We have over 40 years of experience in Nevada.