Las Vegas, NV Train Accident Lawyer
Railroads have a long history in Las Vegas, Nevada. Nowadays, train cars rumble along 1,193 miles of freight track in Nevada. Las Vegas residents and tourists can travel using Amtrak trains or the Las Vegas Monorail. With trains arriving every 8 minutes or less at each of the seven monorail stations, exploring the Strip on a train can be fast and efficient.
Yet, from its onset, railroad travel has never been entirely without risk. There is also a long record of tragic train accidents in Nevada.
If you were hurt in an accident, Richard Harris Law Firm can help you get fair and full compensation for your injuries. To learn about our extraordinary client services, call or text (702) 745-8555 for a free legal consultation.
Dangers of Railroad Travel That Affect Your Safety
In 2020, there were 1,519 accidents involving trains in the US, some of which ended in tragic consequences. The following are common causes of train accidents in Nevada.
A train derailment occurs when a train leaves its rails. Research reveals that the most common causes of train track derailments are broken rails or welds. Train conductor errors, such as using switches or brakes improperly, can also cause derailments. Meanwhile, faulty train car equipment, including axles, journals, wheels, and bearings, is the reason behind many high-speed derailments.
In recent years, the number of US train accidents has decreased. Yet, a single accident can cause major damage. An attorney can help you seek justice when train accidents occur due to disobeyed signals, speeding, or violations of operating rules.
Slip-and-fall train accidents
Property and business owners have a legal obligation to keep their premises safe. This principle is called premises liability because owners can be held responsible when neglect results in personal injury to someone else.
A responsible owner or operator would have to take measures to prevent slip and fall injuries:
- Display warnings of potential hazards, such as wet or slippery areas on the platform
- Clean spills and ice promptly
- Repair broken stairs and loose carpeting
- Keep passenger aisles free of tripping obstacles
- Keep walking and working areas along the track well-lit
- Install handrails on stairs
Terrorist attacks, robberies, and assaults
Las Vegas railroads should take steps to ensure the safety and security of passengers and workers. A train accident attorney can evaluate the premises to determine whether someone’s lax standards constituted negligence.
To prevent robberies and assault, rail companies may be able to:
- Install security cameras
- Prevent unauthorized visitors from boarding the train or loitering on the platform
- Hire guards to patrol the premises
- Make sure that lighting is adequate, especially in isolated areas
- Screen personnel for criminal records
- Secure passengers’ rooms with locks
- Provide security for public spaces, train cars, and parking lots
Richard Harris’ team of personal injury lawyers realize that being injured in a train robbery or assault can be traumatizing. Someone from our compassionate legal team is on hand 24 hours a day to take your call at (702) 745-8555 if you want to talk about a criminal attack before, during, or after your Las Vegas train ride.
Train accidents at railroad crossings
Some rail accidents involve pedestrians or cars on the track. In 2020, 77 people lost their lives while 286 others suffered serious injuries at US railroad crossings. The lawyers of Richard Harris Law Firm believe that train crossing safety should be a priority for the State of Nevada.
In 2004, just 2 months after its inauguration, a drive shaft fell off a Las Vegas monorail train during testing. Later, the new line was closed after a rubber steering tire broke off during transit due to a manufacturing defect. A few days after this incident, after reopening once more, a metal piece fell off a train, striking the tracks and causing an electrical explosion.
The Las Vegas monorail has always dealt with the risks of equipment failure. A train crash or derailment can occur as a result of irregular inspections and poor maintenance, injuring many or even causing preventable death.
If such an unfortunate event occurs, train accident victims can turn to our lawyers to discover their legal rights to compensation at no cost. Send us a message to schedule your no-obligation, free consultation today.
Determining Liability For Nevada Train Accidents
If you or a loved one were injured on a Nevada train car or at a station, you might be wondering who should be held responsible. The answer depends on the reasons behind the incident.
For example, the following questions are worth considering:
- Did the railroad company take all necessary safety precautions to prevent an accident on their trains?
- Did railroad workers make mistakes or neglect their duties?
- Did the incident occur because of a failed warning signal, such as at a railroad crossing?
- Did the train conductor exceed the speed limit for the train tracks or break another law of operation?
Identifying the causes of train accidents is rarely straightforward. Las Vegas train accident attorneys can investigate why you were injured and who is responsible. During a free case review at Richard Harris Law Firm, a personal injury attorney can determine whether railway negligence was a factor in your train accident.
The Compensation You Win Could Help You Recover
Victims of train accidents could qualify to receive significant compensation for their injuries. If you were injured in a train accident, contact an attorney to learn how to pursue financial compensation for medical bills as you recover.
It is possible that you could get money to cover:
- Emergency room transport
- Hospital stays
- Physical therapy
- Rehabilitative services and assistive devices
- Future aftercare services
Besides medical expenses, accidents often result in missed work. Your experienced train accident lawyer can help you to calculate what you are due for:
- Lost wages for work you missed because of your personal injury
- Missed days of work to see doctors or get medical treatment
- Paid vacation, personal days, or sick time that you use as you recover
- Future lost earning capacity based on permanent disabilities
- Workers’ compensation insurance
The pain and suffering faced by train accident victims like you should never be ignored in a Las Vegas train accident settlement. Our skilled personal injury attorneys can help you seek the following non-economic damages:
- Physical pain from the train accident
- Physical pain from the resulting medical treatments and rehabilitation
- Psychological distress and anxiety, including post-traumatic stress symptoms
Punitive damages are about justice. These are meant to punish wrongdoers for malicious behavior and serve as a deterrent for others who might commit similar acts.
In a wrongful death lawsuit, surviving family members may be able to seek damages on behalf of a loved one. Your claim could reflect these damages in a wrongful death claim:
- The pain and suffering of the train accident victim
- Medical bills incurred prior to the wrongful death
- Costs related to the funeral, burial, or cremation
- Lost financial support
- The value of services the deceased would have provided had he or she not died
- Loss of companionship, guidance, and care
Reaching out to a train accident attorney means more than seeking information from a law firm. By acting as soon as possible, you put yourself in the best position to maximize your compensation.
Start Working With Experienced Las Vegas Train Accident Attorneys Without Delay
In Las Vegas, NV, as an injured train passenger, pedestrian, employee, or another involved party, you have legal rights. A train accident attorney can inform you of your legal options and help you take steps to win compensation for your train accident injury.
Yet, when it comes to train accidents, time is of the essence. The Nevada statute of limitations could restrict what train accident lawyers can do for you if you wait very long. This deadline restricts your time to act on your potential claim or lawsuit – your rights could expire after a specific amount of time after a train injury.
The good news is that someone from Richard Harris Law Firm is always standing by to assist you regarding any of our personal injury practice areas. Call or text our local office anytime at (702) 745-8555. You can also schedule a train injury consultation now by leaving a message or chatting with one of our live agents.