In a perfect world you wouldn’t need insurance at all.  In a slightly less perfect world, everyone would carry enough insurance to cover their own negligence.  But the reality is, that there are many who drive on the roads of Nevada, with no insurance on their vehicles.  It’s estimated that about 12% of drivers don’t carry any insurance, and many carry only the state minimum coverage, which have recently been raised, but still won’t cover more than small portions of a serious accident. That is what Uninsured/Underinsured (UM/UIM) coverage is designed to protect against.  If you are involved in an accident where you are injured, with a driver who carries no insurance, or not enough insurance to pay your medical bills, your own UM/UIM coverage can be used to pay your medical bills.

Basics of UM/UIM Coverage

Under Nevada law, while you are required to carry the state minimums of liability insurance in order to register your vehicle, you are not required to purchase UM/UIM coverage, but the state does require insurance carriers to provide the coverage.  If you opt to have UM/UIM coverage it will be provided in an equal amount to the Liability Coverage on the policy.  For example, minimum coverage for car insurance since July 1, 2018 is $25,000 bodily injury liability coverage per person, $50,000 bodily injury per accident, and $20,000 property damage.  This level of insurance is expressed as 25/50/10.  These levels represent the maximum that your insurance will pay in case you cause an accident.  While you can opt for higher limits, the premium will increase as well.

If you opt to carry UM/UIM, which is either a Yes or No, the UM/UIM coverage will be at the same level as your bodily injury liability coverage if the other driver is at fault.  At state minimum, that would be $25,000 of coverage for you and your passengers if injured in a car accident to pay medical costs, if the person who caused the accident didn’t carry any insurance, or if you and your injured passengers’ medical expenses are greater than the coverage carried by the at fault driver.

Compared to the cost of bodily injury liability, UM/UIM is relatively inexpensive.  For a relatively small additional premium however, you are basically providing yourself liability coverage if the driver is uninsured or underinsured.  You should talk to your insurance agent to get an exact quotation for the costs associated with UM/UIM coverage.  In an accident where the other driver is at fault, his insurance should pay your injuries and property damage.  If that driver is uninsured, your own UM/UIM could then be used to pay yours and your passenger’s injuries.  This coverage is in addition to any medical insurance you carry on yourself.

Nevada Car Accident Lawyers

If you’ve been injured in a car accident caused by another driver, The Richard Harris Law Firm will obtain the highest benefit for you based on all the insurance coverages available.  We will then negotiate with the insurance providers involved to get you the highest settlement.  If this is your situation, call our office today to discuss your potential case, at (702) 444-4444.

Learn More: