Participating in the Spirit of Nevada Scholarship Contest is simple:
- Create an entry based on the theme and rules.
- Register your entry.
- Spread awareness!
Currently enrolled high school students (grades 9-12) in Clark County, Nevada, are eligible to participate.
A total of four scholarships will be awarded to the students who create the best entry based on the year’s theme. There will be one $1,000 scholarship (per category) awarded to the student with the best entry in each category. The four categories are video, work of art, short story or poem, and original song or musical production. In addition, $500 will be awarded to the school of each winning student.
Categories and Parameters for Entry
Contest categories and parameters for entry:
- A video (maximum 60 seconds, includes film, animation, etc.);
- An original work of art (includes painting, sculpture, cartoon, etc.);
- A short story or poem (maximum 2,000 words);
- An original song or musical production (maximum 60 seconds).
These are the only entry methods, and entries must fit properly into one of these categories to be eligible.
If submitting a work of art in person, students will need to deliver their submission to the Richard Harris Personal Injury Law Firm at 801 South 4th Street, Las Vegas, NV 89101.
The online and in-person deadline for all submissions is Friday, April 26, 2019, at 5 p.m.
Students with video submissions can upload their video to either their personal YouTube or Vimeo account. Winners will be selected by a panel of judges that will evaluate the submissions based on creativity, entertainment value, quality, and reach of awareness. Winners will be selected and notified soon after. Winners will be featured on the Spirit of Nevada website as well as invited to meet the host of Spirit of Nevada, Samantha Chian, at an award ceremony in their behalf.
Theme and Inspiration
Whether you’re ‘Vegas Born’ or new to the State, Nevada has a way of making an impact on the lives of all of us who call it home. Our 2019 scholarship contest theme, “Home Means Nevada,” encourages students to share stories of the exceptional people, places, charities and social causes that make Nevada a better place.
You may consider these examples of what you could focus on with your entry:
- A person who enriches the lives of the community.
- An inspirational place of natural beauty.
- An organization making Southern Nevada a better place to live.
- Bring awareness to a social cause that affects the lives of Nevadans.
Your entry about something like the above examples (but certainly not limited to these topics!) can take the form of a 60-second video, a work of art, a short story or poem (maximum 2,000 words) or an original song or musical production (no longer than 60 seconds). Your entry can be inspiring, shocking, emotional, unique, dramatic or humorous—whatever makes your entry convey an effective message.
- ALL entries must be submitted by 5 p.m. on Friday, April 26, 2019.
- WINNERS will be selected on Tuesday, April 30, 2019.
Below is a checklist of all required items required for video submissions:
- Video has been uploaded to a YouTube or Vimeo account.
- YouTube or Vimeo webpage includes “Spirit of Nevada Scholarship Contest 2019 – Home Means Nevada”
- in the title and required information in the description.
- “Student Release Waiver” and “Consent of Broadcast and Advertising” forms have been fully filled out.
- Completing the online registration process.
- One winner chosen per category (one each for 60-second video, a work of art, a short story or poem (maximum 2,000 words), or a 60-second original song or musical production—$1,000 prize for each winner, total of four winners
- $500 awarded to the school of each of the four winners
- Total prizes available to be awarded—$6,000