We are no longer accepting submissions for 2018. Check back next year to submit your work for our 2019 Spirit of Nevada Scholarship!
Participating in the Students with a Cause scholarship is simple:
- Create an entry based on the theme and rules.
- Register your entry.
- Spread awareness!
Currently enrolled high school students (grades 9-12) in Clark County, Nevada, are eligible to participate.
A total of four scholarships will be awarded to the students who create the best entry based on the year’s theme. There will be one $1,000 scholarship (per category) awarded to the student with the best entry in each category. The four categories are video, work of art, short story or poem, and website. In addition, $500 will be awarded to the school of each winning student.
If submitting a work of art in person, students will need to deliver their submission to the Richard Harris Personal Injury Law Firm at 801 South 4th Street, Las Vegas, NV 89101.
If a digital submission, such as videos, short stories, poems, websites, illustrations, the deadline is Friday, May 11, 2018, before midnight.
Students with video submissions can either upload their video to their personal YouTube or Vimeo account or send the video to our office via DVD by mail or ftp upload and we will place the video on the Richard Harris Law Firm YouTube account. Each approved entry will be given a unique page on the ‘Students with a Cause’ website. Winners will be selected by a panel of professional judges in the media and broadcast industry. Judges will be evaluating the submissions based on creativity, entertainment value, quality and reach of awareness. Winners will be selected and notified soon after. Winners will be featured on the Spirit of Nevada website as well as invited to meet with Mr. Harris for an award ceremony in their behalf.
Theme and Inspiration
Stay tuned for information about our 2019 theme!
You may consider these examples of what you could focus on with your entry:
- A person who enriches the lives of the community.
- An inspirational place of natural beauty.
- An organization making Southern Nevada a better place to live.
- Bring awareness to a social cause that affects the lives of Nevadans.
Your entry about something like the above examples (but certainly not limited to these topics!) can take the form of a 60-second video, a work of art, a short story or poem (maximum 2,000 words) or a website. Your entry can be inspiring, shocking, emotional, unique, dramatic or humorous—whatever makes your entry convey an effective message.
Check back soon for a timeline of next year’s scholarship contest.
Below is a checklist of all required items required for video submissions:
- Video has been uploaded to a YouTube or Vimeo account.
- YouTube or Vimeo webpage includes “scholarship identification” in the title and required information in the description.
- “Student Release Waiver” and “Consent of Broadcast and Advertising” forms have been fully filled out.
- Completing the online registration process.
- One winner chosen per category (one each for 30-second video, a work of art, a short story or poem (maximum 2,000 words) or a website—$1,000 prize for each winner, total of four winners
- $500 awarded to the school of each of the four winners
- Total prizes available to be awarded—$6,000