Participating in the Students with a Cause scholarship is simple:
- Create an entry based on the theme and rules
- Register your entry (via registration form, e-mail or by personal delivery to the law firm office at 801 South 4th Street, Las Vegas, NV 89101)
- Spread awareness
Currently enrolled high school students (grades 9-12) in Clark County, Nevada, are eligible to participate.
A total of four scholarships will be awarded to the students who create the best entry based on this year’s theme of “Discover Both Sides.” (See the theme description and examples below.)
There will be one $1,000 scholarship (per category) awarded to the student with the best entry in each category. The four categories are video, work of art, short story or poem, and website. In addition, $500 will be awarded to the school of each winning student.
If submitting a work of art in person, students will have until 5:00 P.M. on Friday, May 11, 2018, to deliver their submission to the Richard Harris Personal Injury Law Firm at 801 South 4th Street, Las Vegas, NV 89101.
If a digital submission, such as videos, short stories, poems, websites, illustrations, the deadline is Friday, May 11, 2018, before midnight.
Students with video submissions can either upload their video to their personal YouTube or Vimeo account or send the video to our office via DVD by mail or ftp upload and we will place the video on the Richard Harris Law Firm YouTube account. Each approved entry will be given a unique page on the ‘Students with a Cause’ website. Winners will be selected by a panel of professional judges in the media and broadcast industry. Judges will be evaluating the submissions based on creativity, entertainment value, quality and reach of awareness. Winners will be selected and notified soon after. Winners will be featured on the Spirit of Nevada website as well as invited to meet with Mr. Harris for an award ceremony in their behalf.
Theme and Inspiration
The 2018 contest theme is, “Discover Both Sides.” Students are encouraged to go beyond the bright lights and dig deeper to explore the exceptional people, places, charities and social causes making Nevada a better place. You may consider these examples of what you could focus on with your entry:
- A person who enriches the lives of the community.
- An inspirational place of natural beauty.
- An organization making Southern Nevada a better place to live.
- Bring awareness to a social cause that affects the lives of Nevadans.
Your entry about something like the above examples (but certainly not limited to these topics!) can take the form of a 60-second video, a work of art, a short story or poem (maximum 2,000 words) or a website. Your entry can be inspiring, shocking, emotional, unique, dramatic or humorous—whatever makes your entry convey an effective message.
- Thursday, March 15, 2018—Begin accepting entries
- Friday, May 11, 2018—Last day to submit entries in person at Richard Harris Law Personal Injury Law Firm (5:00 P.M.)
- Friday, May 11, 2018—Last day to submit online entries (before midnight)
- Wednesday, May 16, 2018—Winners will be selected
Below is a checklist of all required items required for video submissions:
- Video has been uploaded to a YouTube or Vimeo account.
- YouTube or Vimeo webpage includes “scholarship identification” in the title and required information in the description.
- “Student Release Waiver” and “Consent of Broadcast and Advertising” forms have been fully filled out.
- Completing the online registration process.
- One winner chosen per category (one each for 30-second video, a work of art, a short story or poem (maximum 2,000 words) or a website—$1,000 prize for each winner, total of four winners
- $500 awarded to the school of each of the four winners
- Total prizes available to be awarded—$6,000